Friday, April 12, 2013

Bikini and Daisy Duke Mama---Take a Stand Against Major Department Stores Immodest Clothing

I had a setback with a major department store this evening. As I was searching for blue jean shorts for my 2-year old daughter, I was utterly surprised when I picked up the shorts to look at them and found daisy dukes! I gasped rather loudly and looked at my husband in dismay. I said, "What in the world is this?! Why would you put these on a CHILD?!" There were a few other women
around and no one really nodded their head in agreement or responded but they kept their heads down and kept browsing. I don't know if I was too obnoxious or not and I'm not incredibly worried about what their thoughts were, but what are yours? Is there a way to get these major department stores to supply clothes that cover my daughter appropriately?


Now, I do admit to being a little conservative. My hubs and I have discussed it and fully agree that neither of our daughters will EVER wear a bikini under our supervision. I just do not find it appropriate for a girl to do so. When she is old enough to make a decision as an adult, I pray she makes the right decision. I can get into the modesty debate and may pursue that in another blog but for tonight- what are your thoughts? Do you think stores have gone a little overboard on the short shorts? Do you agree they are extremely lacking age-appropriate attire for children? Not that I would wear daisy dukes now, but a TODDLER? Do you know of any way to get this situation turned around? I can't wait to hear what you have to say. 


A friend who already responded to my facebook rant, says Victoria Secret received complaints and a petition regarding their clothing for pre-teens that were inappropriate. They stopped making them. I wonder if we could do this with major department stores, as well. Why couldn't we? Moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents- let's take a stand! Dress your children modestly and do it by buying the right clothing at a store who will listen. What do you say? 
(I almost posted a picture of 2 girls playing soccer in one of the store's weekly ads, but I didn't want to expose these kids to any ridicule or judgement. I mean, what if they have to bend over and tie their shoe? How do you PLAY soccer in those things? Geesh, what is going on?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment